Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It's just a phase

That's what I keep telling myself. Dylan has become a complete Daddy's boy. If I'm the only one around, he loves me to death. But if Daddy is there, he wants nothing to do with me. He will actually CRY if Chris hands him to me! I know he loves me and it's completely normal for babies to alternately prefer one parent over another. But dangit, I'm jealous!

He's also having bad separation anxiety. Anytime we leave him at daycare, or in the church nursery, he freaks out. Screaming, crying, sounding like he's scared to death. It's so sad. I've made it a point to hang out at daycare every day for about half an hour or so until he warms up a little to the toys and teachers.

He won't even let anyone else hold him. I'm talking family! He won't go to Nana, Papa, Grandma, anyone. If we try to hand him to someone, he starts whimpering, then full-out crying. He's also forming an attachment to his sippy cup. If it's empty and he acts like he wants more, we take it to refill it. He acts like we just hurt him or something. He seriously does NOT want that cup out of his hand for a second. He'll take it outside to play and everything.

He's such an awesome little man. He's got a great personality and he's so funny. He knows what he's not supposed to do, and he'll test us by pretending like he's going to do something and looking at us with this sly grin. As cute as it is, we know not to encourage him, so we just frown and shake our heads. He stops. He loves playing outside in his new playhouse/swingset, which we worked on this weekend. We added wood timbers to form a large area around it and filled it in with wood fiber like you see on playgrounds. It was a LOT of work, but it looks great.

No comments: