Thursday, September 13, 2007


And she's beautiful. She's 2 months old and she's in the same orphanage Dylan was in. We're so excited and proud. She weighed a healthy 11 pounds at 6 weeks. I can't share photos online until after the G&R, but most of the people that read this saw pictures last week.

I did ask for reasoning on this restriction. For one, she's not legally our daughter. I wouldn't want people posting pictures of Dylan without my permission, so I can see that. Two, there have been shady facilitators in the past that 'bought' referrals from orphanages after seeing them posted online. Or agencies that complained to a province that another agency was getting more referrals and the province would take the referrals away and give it to the 'squeaky wheel.' Therefore, if I post pictures where these type of people could access them, I risk losing Madison. And that's a risk I don't want to take. Obviously, it's ok to email them to family and friends.

Now begins the LONG wait to travel. Hopefully, it will be in December again (or earlier). We're ready to bring her home. The nursery was finished a couple weeks ago. Did I post pictures of that? I can't remember. Here they are again.

And here's some new pics of Dylan:

At his baby dedication Sunday:

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Very scary moment

So, Dylan has had a little cough for a few days. Nothing big, no fever. Friday morning, it was 99, but that's not very high, so I took him to daycare. They called me at 4:30 (right before I was heading out to get him) to tell me his temp was 101 and I needed to come get him. By 6, it was 103 and he was really clingy and tired.

At 7, he had a seizure. His eyes rolled back in his head and his lips turned blue. I just started sobbing and Chris was panicking asking what do we do. I knew it was probably a febrile seizure, but when your baby's lips turn blue and their eyes roll back in their head, you lose it. I didn't even think about 911 (which they told me later I should've called instead of driving). I got in the passenger seat with Dylan in my arms and Chris drove.

The seizure had stopped, and he was breathing, but not very well, and he was not staying conscious. His eyes kept rolling back and I just kept blowing in his face to keep him awake, me sobbing the entire time.

I ran into the ER and they called back that a non-responsive baby had come in. A nurse comes running out and grabs him from me. At that point, he woke up and looked at her. They found a room and got his stats. His blood oxygen was low, so they had to put an oxygen mask on him. His temp was 105.

We were in the ER for 3 hours. Long story short, he has strep throat and pneumonia. He got a shot for the pneumonia and we have to start antibiotics today, along with Motrin every 6 hours and Tylenol every 4 hours.

He still has a fever this morning, but not too high. They said once a baby has a febrile seizure, they're prone to more, so we have to treat every fever instead of riding them out.